If you`re considering renting out a room in your furnished home, it`s important to have a formal agreement in place to protect both yourself and your lodger. A lodger agreement is a contract between you and your lodger that outlines the terms and conditions of their stay in your home.
Having a lodger agreement in place can help prevent any misunderstandings or disputes that may arise during the lodger`s stay. It also ensures that all parties involved understand their responsibilities and obligations.
To make the process easier, you can use a template for a lodger agreement for a room in a furnished house. Here are some things to consider when creating your own agreement:
1. Basic Information: Include basic information about yourself and your lodger, such as full names and addresses.
2. Room Details: Clearly outline which room the lodger will be renting. Include details about any furnishings, appliances, or other amenities that will be included in the room.
3. Rent and Payment Details: Specify the monthly rent amount and due date, as well as the method of payment (e.g. cash, check, online transfer).
4. Security Deposit: Outline the amount of the security deposit, which is typically one month`s rent, and when it will be returned to the lodger at the end of their stay.
5. Term of Agreement: Specify the length of the agreement, whether it`s a fixed term or a rolling contract.
6. House Rules: List any rules or regulations that the lodger must adhere to during their stay, such as cleaning responsibilities, restrictions on visitors, or quiet hours.
7. Utilities and Bills: Explain how utility bills (such as electricity, water, and internet) will be divided and paid for.
8. Termination: Outline the conditions under which the agreement can be terminated by either party (such as non-payment of rent or breach of house rules).
9. Signatures: Both you and your lodger should sign and date the agreement to make it legally binding.
Having a lodger agreement in place can provide peace of mind for both you and your lodger. By using a template and including all necessary details, you can create an agreement that is clear and easy to understand.